The new PureSec protection layer for AWS Lambda is designed to help AWS customers further secure their serverless applications against cyber-attacks with minimal effort and no operational overhead
TEL AVIV, Israel, November 29, 2018 -- PureSec, today launches the world’s first serverless security solution, which is designed to require zero operational overhead by using a new product feature from Amazon Web Services (AWS) Lambda, called 'AWS Lambda Layers'.
Using the new PureSec layer for AWS Lambda, customers can build and deploy secure serverless applications in a standardized and consistent way, without requiring developers to modify function code, or include any additional components into deployment packages.
The new PureSec layer for AWS Lambda also allows organizations to govern and enforce serverless security best-practices, and to tightly integrate the PureSec serverless security platform into every serverless application, with zero additional operational overhead.
In cloud environments such as AWS, the cloud provider is responsible for protecting the infrastructure that runs all of the cloud services. This infrastructure is composed of the hardware, software, networking and facilities that run cloud services. AWS Lambda takes this protection one layer higher, and also provides security for the operating system and supported languages/runtimes. At the same time, the customer is responsible for securing the application layer, which includes protecting application logic and code, configuration of the different cloud services that the application consumes, and any custom configurations.
“In AWS Lambda, application owners can control their code and configurations, while security for the application layer has to come from within the code itself,” said Ory Segal, CTO and co-founder at PureSec. “Up until today this meant that deployment of a serverless security platform such as PureSec could only be done by involving the development team and having developers embed the PureSec runtime protection into each function.”
Segal also noted that “the PureSec protection layer for AWS Lambda is the outcome of collaborative work with the AWS Lambda team. It represents our unique serverless security vision, to make serverless runtime protection more accessible and easier to consume for all AWS Lambda customers.”
PureSec’s Serverless Security Platform is designed to provide comprehensive end-to-end serverless security for AWS Lambda applications, which includes:
- Serverless asset inventory and near real time threat visibility
risk management, security posture analysis and best practices checklists
- Serverless-specific static analysis for the detection and mitigation of weaknesses, vulnerabilities and misconfigurations during development
- Serverless runtime application layer protections:
- Serverless application firewall capable of detecting and stopping event-data injection attacks such as: SQL injection, Cross-Site-Scripting, External XML entities, Runtime code injection, Local file include and Command injections
- Machine Learning (ML)-based behavioral protection capable of detecting and preventing malicious behavior such as data leakage through outbound network connections, execution of malicious processes, unauthorized access to the file-system, etc.
- Integration with SIEM systems and data analysis platforms such as Splunk